Friday, August 1, 2008

Zest Long Forgotten

With childlike wonder
you gaze,
aware and trusting
of things which we long ago
stopped believing.
Hoping and dreaming
of a life which unfortunately
we can turn into a nightmare.
Fearlessly,
Relentlessly
pushing forwards.
Striving to be
completely
enamored with
possibilities
of a brand new world.
Opening your eyes
to a new day,
which we rapidly get through
and call yesterday.
Maybe through you
I can live again,
with a zest long forgotten.
Let me see through your eyes
and exist in a state of innocence,
looking forward to tomorrow.

I came across this as I was looking at old journals. I wrote this poem a few months after my oldest was born. That was fourteen years ago. I couldn't stop thinking about how she was seeing things for the first time, and how I have taken for granted particular moments. It has been impressed upon me that with every situation I find myself in, I have that "one" moment that I can't get back; so I need to make sure my choices are the best ones that I can make.

No comments: