Sunday, August 5, 2007

Homeschool Open House





Tiany of http://homeschoolblogger.com/Tiany/366106/ is holding a Homeschool Open House. A great way to see what others are doing while on their homeschool journey.




We have been homeschooling for 3 years. I pulled my dd out of public school just before she started 5th grade, and she is about to enter 8th grade. This year I am adding my 5 year old dd to the mix. I'm very excited to teach kindergarten. I also have a 3 year old little boy, that likes to sit in with sissy reviewing the phonics cards. I think he knows as many sounds of the alphabet as she does. Thank you "Letter Factory" DVDs. We actually start tomorrow, and I can't wait.


8th Grader -


We are using a unit study called "Teaching with God's Heart for the World" this year. It's primarily for my oldest, but the Bible part will be done with everyone sitting in. This will cover History as well, using various spine books.



  • Math - Lial's BCM with the digital video tutors & the Right Start Math Card Games

  • Logic - The Fallacy Detective

  • Science - BJUP Life Science (done at our homeschool tutorial)

  • Speech - Abeka (done at our homeschool tutorial)

  • Foreign Language - Latin in the Christian Trivium and Learnables French

  • Literature - Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

  • Geography - Beautiful Feet's Geography through Literature

  • Grammar - Rod & Staff English 6

  • Writing - IEW


  • Art - Meet the Masters @ Home

  • Music - Classical Music: A New Way of Listening


Kindergarten -

I am starting Sonlight's Pre-K program with my 5 year old, and am anticipating moving into their K program after Christmas.



  • Phonics - ????????????
  • Math - Right Start Math Level A

  • Science - CLP's Kindergarten Science, along with various readings from Sonlight and the CLP Nature Readers

  • Handwriting - ?????????????

    I prefer to schedule the entire year, and also do a daily schedule. It has helped my dd to see her day laid out.

    This is also our first year with a homeschool room. We moved last year, and this house has a sun room which we converted to our school room. I absolutely love having a room for all of our books.

    My most favorite "homeschooling" books are:



  • Educating the Whole Hearted Child

  • The Well Trained Mind

  • Cathy Duffy's Christian Home Educator's Curriculum Manuals
Homeschooling is not easy, but I love it. And finally, my 8th grader is admitting to others that she loves it too. God is great!

4 comments:

Martha said...

Thanks for sharing your homsechooling. I hope you have a great year.

Jane

Holli said...

What a wonderful homeschool Mom. Can you give me lessons???
Your friend,
Holli

Melissa Markham said...

Your homeschool looks fantastic! Enjoy! Have a great year!

Theresa said...

I'll have an 8th grader this year as well and I'm a bit nervous about it. She has a strong interest in becoming a doctor so that has me a little freaked out as well... wondering if I can handle all the math and science needs but it will all work out!!

Have a great year. I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your school.

Blessings,
Theresa